Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Great people, bad dates, and the one that could make me change my mind

I guess it's time to get to the nitty-gritty and purpose of this whole blog page...so here you have it, folks! my "matches" in order that I met them!

Match #1: "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play!"
This first person I met was a 30-year-old athletic coach from the University of Kentucky. Cute guy, average build.....But he had a great sense of humor, could keep up with my sarcastic wit, and very nice. He hails from the Hawkeye State, actually just two hours north of my hometown, so it was nice to meet someone from the same state that had the same small town values as I did.
So after several phone chats and countless emails, I finally agreed to meet him in Cincinnati for some good old fun at Dave & Buster's. Great time, great company, great date.....We continued to chat through text message/phone/emails even through his recruitment event in South America. I can't imagine what his phone bill was going to be for the week of that trip, but the topic is moot.
However, Coach soon decided to show his real colors when he returned from his trip and, in a sense, was almost demanding of my time and was upset when I was unable to meet him for dinner and drinks that week. So, just like that....coach vanished--no phone calls. no texts. no emails. He just disappeared.

I think I may have seen his face on a milk carton the other day........oh well.

Match #2: "Designing web pages isn't like designing a myspace page"
Now....this guy can be summed up in one word: Adorable. This probably isn't an adjective that a guy would want to be described with...But, it so appropriately fits him. He is a 29-year-old web page designer that lives about 90 minutes from my place. So distance immediately was an issue for me.....I don't think it was for him. Besides this, we both live very busy lives and we are lucky to chat once a week on the phone.
Nonetheless, after chatting and emailing for what seemed like 3-4 weeks, our schedules finally matched up to where we could meet. It was an instant hit, convo was great. Dinner was fantastic. Drinks and the band were incredible afterwards. I have to admit, it was a damn good night out.

However, again....the constant schedule conflict and the mileage are a huge roadblock for me. I am forever engaged in a terrible and horrible game of phone tag with him.....

Tag, you're it...and I'm out.

Match #3: "The Proud. The Few. The Marines....?"
I typically do not go for men my age....but there was something about this guy that interested me. Just as driven, ambitious, funny, and sarcastic as myself. We hit it off instantly through chatting, and by the time we met, it had already seemed like we'd been on three dates.
This marine is hands down the best looking guy I've met to date. I would be lying if I said he didn't have alot of other things going for him as well......two internships, his military service record, and his academics. Oh, and he's a gentleman....chivalry isn't dead!
I think this guy is the one I actually had more than one date with.....three to be exact.

However, something interesting happened, he went M.I.A.!

We were supposed to have a dinner date, we had spoken the night before (briefly), and that was it.........

To this day, I have no clue what happened to him. Perhaps, the distance between him and myself was too much. Or it was my hectic work schedule. I guess Ill never know.

Match #4: "An Officer and the Gentlemen?"
I don't know what it is about the Dayton area that makes people bitter. I do not feel and think this place is that terrible. But I guess when you live in Florida all your life, one is bound to be bitter about life in Ohio in general.....Which of course, this guy was. It was blantly obvious when he started ranting about how Dayton was dull and boring.

Mind you, this was all within the first ten minutes upon us meeting.

So "Mr. Gator" is a 31-year-old mechanical engineer and an officer in the USAF. I met him for lunch on HIS lunch hour on a day more convienent for him than myself. Although, he did choose a great restaurant.....well that's about it. Conversation was horrible--I justified it by chalking it up to nerves, but who is that nervous that they just dont want to talk? The more questions I asked or the more I tried to make conversation, the more he shut up.

But it gets better. The only thing he did tell me was that he went to cincinnati to hang out because it was much more fun than dayton. And that there was a girl he dated off and on from there......so this must have been an off month for them.

The uniform doesnt immediately give you personality. Check please.

Match #5: "Jury's not back yet....the verdict is still out"
I couldn't be happier with this match--a 29 year old attorney that is a life long dayton area native. As to why he is still single?....I have no absolute clue!

He had me completely fooled on our first date--had me under the impression we were going to be digging into some great chinese restaurant, but was rather "low key." But rather, he took me to the most romantic and most incredible restaurant I have ever been to. Afterwards, it was wine on his balcony and one of the most intellectually stimulating conversations I have ever had with another human. No need for a bar. television. a movie. I was completely captivated by his every word. every story. and every part of the night and every part of him. It was by far, the best date ever......

I'm willing to throw caution to the wind and take a chance to see where this goes....

But isnt that what life and dating is all about? Risking it all and taking a chance?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.