Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fresh start in a new place

Moving to a new city alone was a shocking adventure in itself. Moving alone with a broken heart...well that proved to be disasterous. It was hard enough to have to adjust to my new world I entered, that throwing in a break up with a guy after 3.5 years made things even harder. Despite the fact that my unwillingness and not being ready for him to move in and take the relationship further, it was "bartender's" ultimatium that ended the relationship.

It's been a while since the break up and although some people will say that it is relatively too soon to date, I tend to guide the right time based on what my exes have been doing. So taking into consideration that he took home the last thing still breathing at 2am when the bar closed the next day, I knew he wasn't worth my tears, sadness and depression I had let myself slip into. I didn't feel as if the relationship meant that much to him anyway, and I didn't mean anything to him.....therefore, I made a promise to myself to forget one thing about him everyday for a month. To slowly put away all the memories I have, lock away all the feelings, and finally finish the last chapter of a very saddening book.

After about a month, I no longer cried over a song on the radio that reminded me of him. I no longer found myself thinking about him at rare moments during the day. And I discovered that I could go an entire day without some type or form of communication with him. It was when I came to this revelation that I knew I would be okay and that I was comfortable enough to slowly enter the world of dating...for the first time in 4 years.

Actually, I welcomed it with optimisim and excitement. Don't get me wrong, I was also terrified because I've watched close friends get treated so cruelly in this world. It's like it is a completely differeny world out there!

Not wanting to search for potential suitors at the local watering holes and not wanting to be constantly fixed up with a friend's "guy they know," I carefully considered the whole on-line dating thing. A few close friends from college recommended a particular site, as well as some people back home. It seems as though everyone knows someone that knows someone who has had success with internet dating.

Interestingly enough, on March 5, 2007--I became active in the on-line dating world. And my personal life hasn't been the same since.

No comments: